I know I'm behind. And, I will write some additional posts when I get back to capture the last few weeks, but right now, I'm filled with emotions as I think about getting on the plane to go back home and get back into the "real world." I never thought 3 1/2 months without paid work could fly by so fast - I've been so busy and have seen so much...
Ireland has been incredible. Family, friends, beer, music, beautiful landscapes, a little rain... I couldn't have asked for more.
For any of you that have kept in touch with me while I've been away, you'll know that I consider this experience one of the best things I have ever done with my life. In the vein of sounding a bit corny, I really think I have been able to recapture myself during this time. And, while I'm still me, I'm hoping that some of the new things I have done and tried will stick. Here are two of the biggies:
1. Eat more yogurt - the French are good at this and it is good for you!
2. Do what makes you happy - And, if you don't know, try it anyway to see. I am usually such a planner and a saver. But, the amazing opportunities I have had the last three months have taught me that spending money on things like travel, good food, and shoes you love can be worth it and is nourishment for the soul!
Before I left, I called this trip my own "Eat, Pray, Love" experience. And, while I was kind of joking then, it really did turn out to be that way. I threw caution to the wind, did some crazy things that many of you will never hear about, and had a blast doing it.
While I have to go home to the States now (whether it ends up being a temporary or permanent return is yet to be seen), I will never let nine years pass before I come back to Europe again (or travel elsewhere in the world). I've made wonderful new friends (who have given me places to visit like Sweden, South Africa, and of course France again) while also staying connected to friends and family back home (thanks Skype) and even sharing some of my abroad experiences with them.
For example, last night, my last night in Ireland, my last time out in Europe on this trip, I finally connected with my friend Amy. She was here for a wedding and though we had tried to connect earlier in the weekend, it hadn't worked out. But, in the end, I toasted my last beer with her.
Slainte and a la prochaine (God willing)!
No comments:
Post a Comment