Monday, April 9, 2012

Working away at my list...

I have had a "must see" list of things in Paris. While I'm on the eve of my last night here and everything didn't get checked off (I really wanted to make it to Giverny - the site of Monet's gardens, but they didn't open for the season until April 1 and I just didn't have time to go this week), I managed to check off a couple in the week between Lyon/Montpellier and Rome and one this past week.

1) Sainte-Chapelle:


I added this to my list because my cousin Erin said it was beautiful. And, it was. At 8,50 Euros tarif plein (I think that was the full price), it was a bit much, but it was gorgeous. And, I went on a sunny day, so the light hit the windows on one side just so. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. Each panel represents stories from different books of the bible, with the last representing relics...


And, here are the twelve apostles (don't ask me to name them):

 

2) Chateau de Vincennes: Since this is near where I live, I wanted to go. Aurelien and I were supposed to make a trip there in January, but never did. So, I went by myself. The chateau has its own Sainte-Chapelle that was modeled after the one in Paris, and a donjon.  It was a pretty cool place to visit and Vincennes is a really nice area.

Sainte-Chapelle
The Donjon
Walking the plank to enter
The chateau also served as a prison and many of the carved names are from prisoners.
Another huge castle fireplace.
Marquis de Sade was imprisoned here

When I finished at the chateau, I headed to the Bois de Vincennes and wandered the gardens (and had a small ice cream!). I also stopped to sit and read and sun myself for an hour or so. An elderly french gentleman actually asked me if I had gotten a good tan as I was leaving.  This was a really pretty place and one I'm sure I would return to if I had more time (ahhh, if only I had more time, there are so many places I'd go back to)


3) Parc Montsouris: With the weather being nice, going to Paris parks was a goal of mine. This park was beautiful and in a quiet, more residential Paris neighborhood that had a very different feel from the rest of the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment