Monday, February 13, 2012

Le Tour Eiffel & la gym

I finally made it to the Eiffel Tower last Thursday. It was a cold, but sunny day. I didn't climb the tower (I'm waiting for Marcy's visit to do that), but I walked around the base and took some photos. I met some nice people and just enjoyed being in the city.


I managed to make my way to the Musee de l'armee (the location of Napoleon's tomb, but I didn't pay to go in) and have a look around there before finally settling at a cafe for a coffee and some reading.


This picture perfectly depicts why I am loving my time in Paris so much - coffee, reading, and a bright orange cup that represents how every day is something different. I know I still have two months here, but I feel like I am never going to want to leave!

I  have been going to the gym pretty regularly, but hadn't gotten a chance to try step yet. Since it is offered primarily at night, I put my sneakers and gym clothes in my bag and stopped there before coming home for the night. Though it was a beginner class, it was just about right for me since I've been out of the loop for a while and I don't have all of the vocabulary for step in French. I had a lot of fun and sweat a bit.

Since I go so often, the gym is the one place I'm finally starting to feel like a regular. People recognize me and I've been chatting with the instructors and other members a bit each time I go (and even though they can all tell I'm American, I don't mind and they are really nice).

Actually, after Baila today (a class like Zumba), the instructor came up to me basically apologized that the classes here in France are not as difficult as in the United States. I told her it wasn't a big deal and that it was better than not having anything to do. And, I have figured out that if I can get there a little bit early to warm up on the cardio equipment (if any is available - there are 3 treadmills, 3 ellipticals, 2 rowing machines, and then a bunch of bikes that are too tall for me even on the lowest setting), I get a much better workout.

But, it is definitely true - the French don't seem to work out as hard as Americans. Last week when I did my long run on the treadmill, one of the staff came up to me afterwards and told me that I did a great job and was very strong. Since I have not always been in shape and athletic, it feels nice to have my fitness level recognized and complimented!

No comments:

Post a Comment