Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Kerry in the kitchen

Much of Europe (parts of France included) have seen unusually cold temperatures (high 20s and 30s) and unprecedented snow recently. It is funny because it is so infrequent that they don't really know how to handle it - there are no plows, so people just get a little panicky and in a lot of places businesses and schools close.

We haven't really had much more than a couple of flurries here, resulting in a dusting on the ground. I took these pictures of the back yard and neighboring house from my bedroom window:



However, this cold has been a great platform for my two meals this week - chili on Sunday and then lentil soup last night. I know I don't really have the reputation of being a great cook (admittedly, I enjoy baking more), but I actually don't really mind it. I actually feel like I am being helpful and it gives me something to do besides reading (I'm almost done the third Hunger Games book, but I don't really want it to end.).

It has been a little challenging adjusting to the differences here - available ingredients, stove (I'm learning to adjust to the gas stove that is a bit finicky before the burner flame will catch and stay lit), cooking equipment - but, that would be the situation almost anywhere, France or not.

Last weekend, I gave Marie-Christine a list of the ingredients for my two meals. It seems that they don't have ground turkey or canned black beans here - no big deal, I used beef and all kidney beans. We couldn't find chili powder - so, I used pre-packaged spices. Okay, so what would I have to adjust to for my soup? Using green lentils instead of brown. I figured, how different could they be? After briefly searching online for any hints, I decided to just go for it and cook them as I normally do - and, it worked out great! This is a pretty easy soup to make (thanks mom!) and I don't really have to measure, so it is hard to really screw it up. I bought a nice loaf of bread at the bakery to go with it, and was quite satisfied with the results... sorry, no picture (it really isn't the prettiest soup to look at, but it tastes good).

If you have the inkling to make it, here's the recipe:

Ingredients
-1 package of lentils (1 lb in US or 500g in France) - I soak the lentils overnight in water and then rinse before cooking.
-onion
-garlic
-carrots (grated)
-celery
-large can of diced tomatoes
-chicken bouillon
-oregano
-parsley
-basil
-salt
-pepper
-olive oil

Instructions
-Put the lentils in a pot with water that is about 2 inches above the lentils. Bring to a boil. Reduce to low and cook until lentils are done (I usually cook about 45 mins - 1 hour).
-Chop garlic, onions, celery. Heat olive oil in a saute pan. Add garlic, onions, celery, and grated carrots and cook through. Add to the pot of lentils.
-Add 2 bouillon, can of tomatoes, and spices (to taste) to pot.
-Let simmer 1 hour. Serve with bread and grated cheese on top (if desired).

The great things about this soup is that it is even better the second day - and yes, we have leftovers.

While I was cooking, Ophelie brought her books to the table to study, keep me company, and help me grate the carrots using their food processor. Apparently halfway through my preparation, she asked me if the soup would need to be "mixée," which apparently got lost in translation. I said yes, thinking she was asking if I would be mixing the veggies in with the lentils. But, what she was really asking was whether or not the soup would need to be blended. Apparently, in France, a real soup is blended to a smooth consistency, whereas if it is left chunky it is not a real soup - I think the word they use to refer to it is a potage.

I have a feeling that I might be cooking fairly regularly. I think it adds to the variety in their diet and for the most part, I really don't mind as long as I have the ingredients I need on hand. I think next up might be some roasted sweet potatoes since Marie-Christine bought them, but doesn't really know how to cook them, but we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment