Thursday, January 12, 2012

I'm Leaving on a Jet Plane...

I know the title of this post is a bit cliche, but so fitting, though I do know when I'll be back again (unless something unexpectedly great comes up and I change my return ticket to a later date, who knows...).

24 hours from now I will be well on my way to Paris, hopefully getting some sleep on the plane. Marie-Christine and Brice (my host mom and the 20 year-old son I'll be tutoring) are planning on picking me up at the airport. Hopefully everything will go smoothly, fingers crossed, knock on wood, and whatever other lucky things I can do...

Thankfully, this lovely snow storm happened today and not tomorrow. See ya later Maine winter! I really won't miss you.


In other news, I fit all of my things into one suitcase, a backpack, and a laptop bag, with about 2 lbs. to spare. I am so proud of myself! Not sure where my new purchases will go (January is the month of sales in France, so I know I'll be buying some stuff), but I have over three months to figure that out.


And yes, my infamous backpack is coming with me again! I just can't seem to get enough of this trusty old L.L.Bean bag. I had another fancier backpack lined up to go that had wheels and a retractable handle, but when I measured it, the handle stuck up just enough to make it larger than is allowable for cabin baggage (by about 1.5 inches). So, rather than risk having to check and pay for the bag at the gate, I opted for my tried and true L.L. Bean sac à dos. Plus, it has lots of compartments and I can fit a ton in it, which makes it great for weekend and long-weekend getaways. This bag made it through my last jaunt in Europe and has been on many trips since then. So, backpack, here's to even more fun travels!

Next time you hear from me, I should be in France. I won't have my U.S. cell phone with me while I'm gone, so you can comment here, email, Facebook, or Skype if you want to keep in touch  (which I hope you do).

Slainte!
(Think I'll have time for a quick Guinness during my 1.5 hour layover in Dublin at 5:30 am on Saturday?)


No comments:

Post a Comment