Friday, March 2, 2012

Views of Florence...

Friday afternoon I made a quick stop at the Accademia to see Michelangelo's David. It was incredible (but thanks to Erin's student ID and museum card, I was able to view the sculpture as her and didn't have to pay) and totally worth it, though there's not much else of note in the museum. Sorry I don't have a picture, but cameras aren't allowed and there was staff everywhere ensuring nobody had the opportunity to sneak a shot.

From there, I followed a great map that Erin drew for me that took me through Florence...where I ended up at a great little shop called Fratellini where you order at a window and eat on the street. I had a salami, soft goat cheese, and fennel sandwich. Trust me, it tasted amazing!


From there I continued on to Ponte Vecchio, crossed the bridge, and walked towards the Boboli Gardens.

A creepy door-knocker

Before going in, I got a call that Erin was back, so I headed to meet her and her roomies for a beer. Her roommates left us to go home, and Erin and I trekked to Piazzale Michelangelo to watch the sun set before having pizza for dinner (romantic, right?!). Of course, we stopped for some gelato on the way - I had dark chocolate and pistachio and it was heavenly!


The climb to Piazzale Michelangelo was more than worth it and the views were incredible! 

A view of Ponte Vecchio on the way to Piazzale Michelangelo

We then headed to a great pizza place - it opened at 7 and was already full when we got there at like 7:05. We ordered 2 pizzas and split them - a margherita and one with fresh arugula, mozzarella, and tomatoes on top.  This was easily some of the best pizza I have ever had and despite my extremely sore throat, I managed to eat every last bit of the pizza, even though it took me twice as long as Erin!


Since Erin had midterms this week, we went back to the apartment where I napped, she studied, and then we went to bed. Just as well since we had a busy Saturday planned and I wasn't feeling that great.

No comments:

Post a Comment