Sunday, December 18, 2011

The countdown is on...

Let me start by saying that if you know me at all, you know that I don't really embrace change. I want to know what to expect and how and when things are going to happen. But, as I've been reminded countless times, life often just doesn't work that way. So, instead of running from change and uncertainty, I've decided that I'm going to embrace it (as best as I can) on my upcoming trip to Europe.

In a little less than a month (26 days actually, but who is counting?) I'll leave the comfort of my friends and family here in Maine and head to France for three months. I'll be living outside of Paris with a host family and their three children who are still at home (ages 17, 20, and 24). My days will be mostly free to explore and maybe do some volunteering in the community while my evenings will be spent tutoring the family in English.

The planner in me has done what I can to dot my "i"s and cross my "t"s - I have insurance, my bills are set to autopay, my flights are booked. There are still a ton of unknowns, but that's all part of my plan to avoid over-planning. Sure, I'm hoping to visit my cousin in Florence while she's studying abroad, and yes, I'll be going to Ireland for two weeks in April before I head back to the States, but "qui vivra, verra" - time will tell what other opportunities and adventures will come my way!

I have set up this blog to share my experiences with friends and family, so feel free to pass the link along and to send me messages while I'm away. Here's to a new start in 2012!

Now for the hard part...packing....

No comments:

Post a Comment